Anonymous expert compilation, analysis, and reporting.
In a very subtle slam to Iran (and the media), despite press reports of 120,000 troops being deployed to the Middle East for an Iranian operation, only 1,500 troops are being deployed. This indicates Iran is not considered a credible or dangerous threat to the US forces in the region. There are sufficient troops available in the region,
Tehran seems determined to pour as much kerosene on this conflagration as they can – the language is more incendiary, and adds to the pandemonium in the US media. US to deploy additional BMD / ADA assets. Administration bypasses Congress on $8B arms package to Gulf nations.
The language coming out of Tehran is clearly not aimed at de-escalation. We should not be surprised if the IRGC does something very foolish in coming days – the imperative is clearly whipping up domestic hysteria to distract from the ongoing economic and social meltdown.
Iran will “see the end” of US President Donald Trump, but Trump will “never see the end of Iran”, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Friday amid an ongoing war of words between Tehran and the Trump administration, Anadolu Agency reports. Speaking from Pakistani capital Islamabad, Zarif slammed the US president for a recent tweet in which the latter accused Iran of supporting terrorist groups. “Donald Trump is the real terrorist,” Zarif said. “He is responsible for waging economic terrorism against Iran.” In a Sunday tweet, the US president also said that if Iran wanted to fight, it would be the “end of Iran”. Zarif responded to the threat by saying: “We will see the end of Trump, but he will never see the end of Iran.” Tensions between the two countries have mounted steadily since Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from a landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of nations (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany). The Trump administration has also re-imposed sanctions on Iran’s banking and energy sectors, while Iran has threatened to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz to U.S. oil shipments.
President Donald Trump threatened “the official end of Iran” in a tweet days earlier.
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif condemned US President Donald Trump as “a terrorist” over his recent move to call Iranians “a nation of terror” and said the Islamic Republic will see the end of Trump’s era.
Tensions have ratcheted up recently in the Mideast as the White House earlier this month sent an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers to the region over a still-unexplained threat it perceived from Iran
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei further distanced himself from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
Earlier, acting Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan denied reports that between 5,000 to 10,000 US troops would be sent to the Middle East, saying that these figures were “not accurate”.
Top Pentagon official says US believes with ‘very high confidence’ that Revolutionary Guard actively planning additional anti-American attacks
The U.S. military said on Friday that Iran’s Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) — which was designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) last month — was directly responsible for attacks on tankers earlier this month.
The decision effectively allows the president to finish the sale of weapons to Saudi Arabia without congressional oversight.
“Right now, I don’t think Iran wants to fight. And I certainly don’t think they want to fight with us,” Trump said.
The deployment is a response to the “ongoing threat” posed by Iran, the acting defence secretary says.
The Trump administration insists that the deployment is purely defensive.
President Donald Trump is sending an additional 1,500 US troops to the Middle East as part of a “mostly protective” effort to deter Iranian threats, he said.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said additional deployments might be required to protect U.S. interests in the Middle East, amid ‘credible’ threat from Iran.
Trump said the troops will have a “mostly protective” role.
The Trump administration took two significant steps Friday to counter what it calls an escalated threat level from Iran. The U.S. will deploy 1,500 additional troops and military equipment to the Middle East, as well as sell additional arms to Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates. The latter action entails a rarely used executive power to bypass Congress. Judy Woodruff talks to Nick Schifrin.
DONALD Trump is sending 1,500 troops, extra missiles and spy planes to the Middle East as tensions with Iran threaten to reach boiling point.
U.S. officials say the Trump administration has notified Congress about a planned deployment to the Middle East amid heightened tensions with Iran.
Roughly 1,500 U.S. troops consisting of a Patriot missile battalion, intelligence aircraft, engineers and fighter pilots are heading to the Middle East as a “prudent defensive measure” against Iran.
The move is said to be mostly a protective measure, amid heightened tensions with Iran
White House downplays prospect of conflict but blames Iran for tanker bombings and Iraq attack
President Donald Trump has given his approval to Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan to deploy additional military resources to the Persian Gulf region to deter Iranian threats, according a senior US official.
Previous reports suggested the main responsibilities of about 1,500 additional U.S. troops would be “defensive in nature.”
Six hundred of the personnel will extend existing deployments in the region
The move could have major repercussions for the American arms trade.
The president evokes a legal loophole to push through the arms deal without Congressional approval.
The Defense Department is considering a military request to send about 5,000 additional troops to the Middle East amid increasing tensions with Iran, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Wednesday.
The U.S. Department of State has approved a possible $80 million Foreign Military Sale (FMS) to the United Arab Emirates of a further batch of RQ-21A Blackjack unmanned aerial surveillance system, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a 24 May statement. The prospective FMS package includes twenty RQ-21A Blackjack Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs). Also included are forty Global Positioning Systems (GPS) with Selective Availability Anti-Spoofing Module (SAASM) Type II (MPE-S); air vehicle support equipment including eight Ground Control Stations (GCS), four launchers, and four retrievers; spare and repair parts; publications; training; and technical support services. The Secretary of State has determined and provided detailed justification that an emergency exists that requires the immediate sale to the United Arab Emirates of the above defense articles (and defense services) in the national security interests of the United States, thereby waiving the Congressional review requirements under Section 36(b) of the Arms Export Control Act, as amended. The proposed sale, which still needs to be approved by the U.S. Congress, is aimed to provide UAE with “developing and maintaining a strong and ready self-defense capability and enhancing interoperability with U.S. forces”, said the DSCA, adding that “The UAE will have no difficulty absorbing these UAVs into its armed forces”. The prime contractor will be Insitu, Bingen, WA, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Boeing Company. The Blackjack surveillance system provides the warfighter with dedicated day and night intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance coverage, target acquisition, and communication relay via a dedicated and cost effective airborne sensor system capable of delivering actionable intelligence to the tactical commander in real time. The RQ-21A Blackjack can safeguard military bases and activities through a pattern of life identification and explosive device detection. It is equipped with an electro-optic/infrared payload that supports the real-time monitoring to provide indications and threat warnings, and its plug-and-play payloads enable multi-intelligence capability to support a broad range of operations.
The aircraft is currently being tested in Granada, Spain, where weather conditions more closely resemble those of the client than in Sweden.
European and Arab officials are carrying messages between Washington and Tehran, Western diplomats say, in bid to head off outright conflict in the Persian Gulf.
IRAN’s cash-strapped cyber agency does not have enough money to fund “terror” groups, newly declassified intelligence purports to show.
(Getty Images/Ethan Miller) (CNSNews.com) – Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D.-Mass.) sent out at Tweet last night vowing to stop the Trump administration from dragging the United States into another “forever war” in the Middle East.
America’s approach toward Iran has no clarity or cohesiveness. Iranians can see right through it.
More than 70 retired military leaders wrote an open letter to President Trump urging him to avoid war with Iran.
Editor’s Note: This letter was coordinated by the American College of National Security Leaders, a consortium consisting of retired admirals, generals,
European allies are grappling with mounting disagreements over foreign policy and growing irritated with Washington’s arrogant leadership style.
On Thursday, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif arrived in Pakistan for bilateral talks amid an escalating crisis between the United States and Iran in the Middle East and ahead of Arab League emergency meetings scheduled for next week following fears of a military conflict in the Persian Gulf.
Iranian FM Javad Zarif meets Pakistan’s civil-military leadership in Islamabad
–Pakistani officials tells Iranian FM to avoid conflict with US –Javad Zarif says Tehran shares Islamabad’s vision for regional peace –Gen Bajwa tells Iranian official war is not in anyone’s interest
Just after 9 a.m Sunday, witnesses on the ground in the remote Syrian countryside near the border of Idlib province claimed they saw more than 40 rockets slash through the sky, along with three different-looking shells that landed in a thud of yellowish smoke.