RIA Novosti: “Igor Korobov, the head of Russia’s Military Intelligence Directorate (GRU), died “after a long and serious illness.”
- Head of Russian military intelligence GRU dead ‘after long and serious illness’ RT
- The head of the GRU, Igor Korobov, dies. TASS (Russian)
- Igor Korobov, Head of the Main Directorate, Dead tvzvezda.ru
General Korobov fell ill after getting his butt chewed by President Putin illness. “[L]ong and serious”?
- Head of the GRU is in ‘ill health’ after furious dressing down from Putin about the ‘morons’ behind the novichok attack – as second spy is revealed to be Russian military doctor
- VLAD’S FURY: Vladimir Putin’s GRU spy chief falls ill after furious showdown with Russian leader over his unit’s Novichok ‘moronic’ blunders
I cannot help but be sceptical of the timing.
- The GRU is the laughingstock of the world’s intelligence agencies
- The GRU has been publicly humiliated for inept operations
- The GRU has been publicly outed, its members exposed
- GRU operations are repeatedly badly bungled
- Skripal assassination attempts
- Hacking of OPCW
- Botched coup in Montenegro
- Is widely considered reckless
When somebody is such a glaring embarrassment to Russia, they have a tendency to disappear or *gasp* die.
Colonel-General Igor Korobov was 63 and left a wife and two daughters.