US Senators visited Russia this past week and received praise from Russia and Russians.
What a bonehead move, in other words stupid, stupid, stupid. In what alternate reality could this possibly be called sensible?
This is the article pushed by Igor Panarin, from the Russian Foreign Ministry.
I wrote that this was going to be a propaganda coup, and indeed it is. US Senators To Visit Russia At End Of June 2018
At home they received derision.
- Republicans on Russia trip face scorn and ridicule from critics at home
- GOP senators visited Moscow on July 4, warned Russia against meddling in 2018 election: report
- This Ought to Run in Campaign Ads from Now Through Eternity
- Senate Republicans Meet Lavrov in Moscow Ahead of Trump-Putin Summit
- Russia targeted US-backed media while GOP senators visited Moscow
- Russian officials and state media mock ‘weak’ GOP senators after Moscow visit
- GOP senators mocked for spending July 4 in Russia
- Senate Intelligence Committee agrees: Putin was helping Trump. Now they’re meeting in private
The subtitle of the last one is powerful: “Senate’s intelligence panel unanimously agrees Russians backed Trump, even as GOP senators kiss up to Moscow”.
Foreign news sources also showed the lack of foresight on behalf of these Senators.
- U.S. senators on Russia trip face scorn, ridicule from critics at home
- ‘Thaw’ in Russian-US parliamentary relations – senior senator RT
The guilty GOP Senators and one Representative include:
- Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard C. Shelby
- Sen. Steve Daines of Montana
- Sen. John Hoeven of North Dakota
- Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin
- Sen.John Kennedy of Louisiana
- Sen. Jerry Moran of Kansas
- Sen. John Thune of South Dakota
- Rep. Kay Granger, R-Texas
Some Senators probably naively believe they actually had an impact on Russia:
“This is probably the largest delegation of senators to visit Russia in anybody’s memory,” Daines told Fox News’ “America’s Newsroom.” “We sent a strong message and a direct message to the Russian government, first of all, don’t interfere in U.S. elections.”- Steve Daines: Senators’ Trip to Moscow Sent Strong Message | Newsmax.com
The problem is Russia does not see it that way. In their eyes, you’ve just completed your Islamic Hajj, your trip to Mecca. You’ve worshipped at the altar of Russian supremacy. You’ve handed them a propaganda victory.
From the Washington Post,
…state television in Russia mocked the meek Americans. One Russian military expert said, “We need to look down at them and say: You came because you needed to, not because we did.”
Congratulations, US Senators and Representative Granger, you’ve just officially sanctioned all of Russia’s misdeeds, empowered a corrupt and arguably evil autocracy, and enabled Russia to do as it pleases. The propaganda coup you handed them may now be used against us.