Cybersecurity · cyberwar · Information operations · Information Warfare

Navy operations chief says there’s no evidence of a cyber attack on USS John S. McCain


Photo by: Wong Maye-E The damaged port aft hull of the USS John S. McCain, is visible while docked at Singapore’s Changi naval base on Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017 in Singapore. The focus of the search for the U.S. sailors missing after a collision between the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters shifted Tuesday to the damaged destroyer’s flooded compartments. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

 – The Washington Times – Friday, August 25, 2017

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John M. Richardson said Friday that there is still no evidence of a cyber attack in the accident on the USS John S. McCain.

“We have no evidence to date that there has been any kind of a cyber intrusion, or a cyber attack. But I do want to make clear that you know in this digital world that we live in right now this will be a more routine part of investigations going forward,” Mr. Richardson said on CNN. “We’re going to have to as a matter of course investigate the digital and the cyber aspects of these problems.”

Mr. Richardson said there is an ongoing investigation into what happened on the ship that resulted in 10 missing sailors. Two bodies have been recovered and identified while other bodies are still in parts of the ship that remain inaccessible to divers.

When asked if reports that the steering had been tampered with, Mr. Richardson said that all questions will be answered in the course of the investigation.

“I think that that and every other question, every possible factor, will be investigated thoroughly. And when we see the entire investigation come together we’ll be in a position to talk about that,” he said.

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/25/navy-operations-chief-says-theres-no-evidence-cybe/

Advertisements

One thought on “Navy operations chief says there’s no evidence of a cyber attack on USS John S. McCain

Comments are closed.