Putin is threatening Sweden if they decide to join NATO.
- PUTIN VOWS MILITARY RESPONSE TO ‘ELIMINATE NATO THREAT’ IF SWEDEN JOINS U.S.-LED ALLIANCE
- Sweden bolsters army in warning to Putin
- Putin Will ‘Eliminate’ the NATO Threat If Sweden Joins
- Sweden in Nato would be ‘threat to Russia’: Putin
- Russia warns Sweden it will face military action if it joins Nato
- Long-neutral Sweden beefs up military defenses to face Russia threat
- Sweden, upping military funding, seeks US cooperation
- Putin vows response to “eliminate threat” if Sweden joins NATO – media
- EU to work with Baltic states on decoupling from Russian power gridNATO and partners hold land, sea exercises in Eastern Europe
- Sweden’s WAR MESSAGE to Putin: Nato partner bolsters army in latest warning to Russia
- Sweden vs Russia – A new Cold War front?
The Russian propaganda.
Why, then, would Russia encroach in Swedish airspace and Swedish waters? To intimidate, threaten, and warn Sweden?
Sweden doesn’t border Russia, so there is no direct threat to Russia. Sweden does, however, control access in and out of the Baltic Sea, between Sweden and Denmark.
Gotland Island controls much of the Baltic Sea, it is strategically important. It is an almost direct line of sight with Kaliningrad. It would also have a direct line on the Russian fleet as it leaves or arrives in St. Petersburg.
Sweden is no longer the formidable fighting force it was in the 17th century, when it beat Denmark, Russia, and Poland in wars. After losing to Russia in 1709, and again in 1808-1809, Sweden has been peaceful and notably neutral.
If Sweden is being forced into a military alliance to defend against Russia, Russia really throwing way too much intimidation around.