A friend and I are noticing signs of both Russian Spetsnaz and Russian mercenaries in Libya, supported from Western Egypt.
Shades of Syria.
Oleg Krinitsyn, owner of private Russian firm RSB-group, says he had people there until a short while ago. Where are they now?
In recent weeks, Russia has taken in 100 of Haftar’s wounded fighters for medical treatment.
According to the Times of Malta, Russia is trying to become “the chief ‘powerbroker’ not only in Libya but the entire Middle East and North African region. ”
In just today’s news:
- Exclusive – Russia appears to deploy forces in Egypt, eyes on Libya role: sources
- Exclusive: Russian private security firm says it had armed men in east Libya
- Russia appears to deploy special forces to airbase in western Egypt
- Russia firm says it had armed men in Libya
- Russian security firm recruited fighters to fight alongside Haftar’s forces in east Libya
- Russia sends mercenaries to back Libya’s Haftar
- Libya: U.S.-Russian Military Confrontation over Haftar’s Role
In a separate incident in Libya:
- Russian Foreign Ministry investigates Russian sailors arrested in Libya’s capital (arrested for oil smuggling)
Prior to that, on Mar 7:
On 4 March, Russia instructs Libya what to do:
- Russia tells Libya’s GNA Prime Minister to hold inclusive national dialogue to resolve crisis
- Russia says ready to broker talks for unity in Libya
Obama left a power vacuum by doing nothing. Russia is taking advantage of Obama’s fecklessness.