There are two major problems with US counter-Russian-propaganda efforts:
- There is no US government support for counter-Russian-propaganda. NATO SC efforts are academic only, they are barred from doing IO except for military targets. Ukraine’s efforts are dysfunctional. My clearly simplistic analysis: if the US doesn’t do it, it’s not going to get done. Secretary Kerry has stated we need to do it – State took one person, who hired two people in-house, who are doing the same old, same old with the same tools. VP Biden spoke about Russian propaganda at Brookings last week, but the death of his son precludes any follow-on action for the time being. Congress has introduced a bill, H.R. 2323, in the House by Congressman Royce for $15.4 million. There was ‘supposedly’ a corresponding bill in the Senate for $30 million, but that bill cannot be found. Any US government effort must meet certain unwritten standards for decorum and must avoid any appearance of propaganda. They cannot rip into the Russian bastids like they need to.
- I need a job. See the connection?
2 June 2015
The last one, “The Agency”, is such a great article, I couldn’t hold off sending this out. ht to Dr. Dorothy Denning for the ‘heads up’. ht to Margarita Jaitner, the Swedish IW Researcher, for many of the other links.
- The odd circumstance of Kaliningrad http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/1/l-todd-wood-odd-circumstance-kaliningrad/
- Putin’s Gunboat Diplomacy http://www.rferl.org/content/putins-gunboat-diplomacy/27048816.html
- Ukraine rebels demoralised by lack of supplies from Kremlin http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4457554.ece
- Russia, United States give vastly different accounts of new ‘standoff’ in Black Sea off Crimea http://www.news.com.au/world/russia-united-states-give-vastly-different-accounts-of-new-standoff-in-black-sea-off-crimea/story-fndir2ev-1227379075660
- Vladimir Putin Hides the Truth http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/opinion/vladimir-putin-hides-the-truth.html?_r=1
- False Rivals: how RT is larger & targets different audiences than the BBG http://www.mountainrunner.us/blog/2015/5/false-rivals-how-rt-competes-with-commercial-journalism-not-the-bbg
- Voice of America disappoints http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/op-ed-voice-of-america-disappoints/article/433062 (Read “False Rivals (#7)” before wading into this little turdball, it gives this story proper context).
- Russia Claims Another Victory Against Twitter, But Here’s What Really Happened http://globalvoicesonline.org/2015/06/01/russia-claims-another-victory-against-twitter-but-heres-what-really-happened/
- What Russian Literature Tells Us About Vladimir Putin’s World http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/06/02/what-russian-literature-tells-us-about-vladimir-putins-world/?utm_content=buffer33134&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
- Alternative reality: Vladimir Putin concocts a new story on Ukraine, leaving the West wondering what he is up to http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21652339-vladimir-putin-concocts-new-story-ukraine-leaving-west-wondering-what-he-up?fsrc=scn%2Ftw%2Fte%2Fpe%2Fst%2Falternativereality
- Vladimir Putin’s censorship agenda targets online giants http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2015/05/31/threatening-facebook-twitter-and-googles-bottom-lines-russia-tries-a-new-approach-to-censorship/?utm_source=Facebook (In other news, Online Giants tell Russia to pound sand).
- Taking Russia’s Troll Factories to Court http://globalvoicesonline.org/2015/06/02/taking-russias-troll-factories-to-court/
- FIFA president Joseph Blatter to announce resignation http://tass.ru/en/sports/798261 Agency
- The Agency http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1 (From a nondescript office building in St. Petersburg, Russia, an army of well-paid “trolls” has tried to wreak havoc all around the Internet — and in real-life American communities.)