Or so I thought.
I have a Google Alert for propaganda and received notification of the PressTV piece. I barely noticed the byline. This is how it looked:
I read through the article with interest and noticed – they are exactly the same. Verbatim. But one is published in Canada and the second is published in Iran.
Now notice the author.
Mairead Maguire was the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, from Northern Ireland, who writes on Palestine, political prisoners and nuclear weapons. In the PressTV article, Ms. Maguire is said to work for InterPress Services. InterPress Services is considered an “Alternative Press Agency“.
In the GlobalResearch.ca piece she is said to work for GlobalResearch.ca although all the pieces I found in the archive appear to be written elsewhere and republished on GlobalResearch.ca
Here is the archive of the pieces she has written for Global Research.ca
- Say “No” to War and Media Propaganda: Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire By , September 14, 2014
- USA-NATO’s Dangerous Path Towards Military Aggression: A Universal Call for Peace through the Total Abolition of Militarism By , August 04, 2014
- International Peace Pilgrimage to Syria via Iran. Statement by Mairead Maguire, Nobel Peace Laureate By , April 28, 2014
- Mother Agnes Mariam and Mussalaha. Nobel Peace Prize Nomination 2014 By , January 06, 2014
- In the Name of Love and Nonviolence, Let Us Strive to Heal Syria By , November 01, 2013
- Nobel Peace Laureate: Say No to the War on Syria By , August 28, 2013
- Report on Syria – Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire: “The Syrian State is Under a Proxy War Led by Foreign Countries” By , May 27, 2013
- Israeli Military Assault on Gaza – “Operation Pillar of Defence” – Not “defence” but murder of unarmed civilians…. By , November 17, 2012
- Nobel Peace Laureate Rejects U.S. State Department – NATO – Chicago Agenda By , April 16, 2012
- Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire on Palestine, Political Prisoners and Nuclear Weapons By , December 02, 2011
Just by reading the titles it is obvious she is completely biased – anti-American, anti-Israeli, pro-Palestinian and pro-Syria.
She is entitled to her opinions but an educated reader will note her consistent bias.
Shades of Soviet, now Russian, Active Measures. Ask a well established distinguished person to write not slightly skewed, but highly biased articles bashing America and Israel. I would guess if someone were to investigate Global Research.ca they would find funding leading right to PressTV. I wouldn’t even be surprised to find a link to Rossiya Segodnya, RIA Novosti, Voice of Russia or RT.
Welcome to Propaganda 101, 21st Century style. Take 20th century KGB Active Measures, blow off the dust, apply liberally, rinse – repeat as necessary.
The techniques don’t change, only their nametags change.