Yesterday I wrote a blog piece about the letter written to the US Secretary of State John Kerry, here, recommending that a Foreign Service Officer (FSO) should be recommended for the Undersecretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs following the term of Tara Sonenshine, who is slated to step down in July.
I only found out today that that letter had been delivered to the Secretary Kerry and to National Security Advisor Thomas E. Donilon at 10 am that morning. The two links I had at the bottom of the page were pre-letter.
I spoke with one of the signatories this morning about a number of topics, including my blog piece. He sent me two very useful links: Letter highlights need for public diplomacy champion at State Department and a piece by the Public Diplomacy Council: Ambassadors Call for a Public Diplomacy Professional at State Department
He also reiterated that the letter is not a statement about Tara Sonenshine, this much is certain. Secretary Kerry’s father was a FSO, so the signatories believe he may have better appreciation for FSO professionalism, expertise and experience and will more likely place an FSO into the opening position.
I heartily endorse the selection of a Foreign Service Officer for the position of Undersecretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs, as this person will have a better understanding of public diplomacy, its intricacies and effects. This person will manage our Public Diplomacy efforts worldwide, we need the best and brightest.
- 37 Former Ambassadors Urge Appointment of a Career Diplomat to State Dept’s Public Diplomacy Bureau (diplopundit.net)
- Don’t Blame the Message/Messenger, Blame the Institution (pddialogues.wordpress.com)
- Public diplomacy what and why (pddialogues.wordpress.com)
- What is Public Diplomacy? Is it important? (sis628e91l.wordpress.com)
- The State Department’s Revolving Door of Public Diplomacy (heritage.org)
- Letter to the Secretary of State about Public Diplomacy (toinformistoinfluence.com)
- Public diplomacy just as important now (apdgroup5.wordpress.com)
- Ain’t No Sonenshine When She’s Gone… (takefiveblog.org)
- Can Non State Actors Do Public Diplomacy? (pdnetworks.wordpress.com)