This post is the first in a series of analyses that the Citizen Lab is preparing regarding the urgent and ongoing threat presented by information operations deployed against Tibetans and others who advocate for Tibetan rights and freedoms, including in Tibetan areas of China. The Citizen Lab is concerned with the apparent increase in the use of social engineering linked to the issue of self-immolation to target Tibetan activists with malware, as well as the reported increase in magnitude of information controls (in close coordination with more physical measures) utilized by the Chinese government in Tibetan areas.
Particularly in light of the upcoming March 10 anniversary of Tibetan Uprising Day, Citizen Lab urges all human rights organizations or others concerned with Tibetan rights to exercise vigilance concerning their use of information and communication technologies at this sensitive time, especially with respect to emails that reference self-immolation or anniversary-related activities.
- A Nice New Way to Define IO (toinformistoinfluence.com)
- Wave of Tibet immolations among history’s biggest (sacbee.com)
- Tibetan self-immolations spreading despite China security moves (sacbee.com)
- Tibetan Monk, 20, Latest to Self-Immolate in China (abcnews.go.com)
- Tibetans urged end to self-immolations (news.com.au)